The East Side Gallery is a special outdoor art gallery on the eastern part of the Berlin Wall in Berlin, Germany. It features 105 paintings created by artists from around the world. These artworks were made in 1990 and depict important themes like wars, unity, and peace.
One of the most famous artworks is a painting of Erich Honecker, the General Secretary of the Socialist Unity Party of East Germany, and Leonid Brezhnev, the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, kissing each other. The painting is called 'The Fraternal Kiss' with writing that reads, “My God, Help Me to Survive This Deadly Love" at the bottom.
Another painting shows the flag of Israel covering the flag of Germany. This painting is a commentary on the special historical connection between the two countries.
The East Side Gallery is a very special place with beautiful paintings that tell stories. It's a reminder of the past and a way to celebrate art and peace.
Quizess of Brandenburg Gate & Berlin Wall
1. Who was allowed to use the middle path of the Brandenburg Gate?
2. What happened to Germany after a big war?
3. Who helped unite the German states and became the emperor?
4. Who led the Nazis in Germany?
5. What was Bismarck’s nickname?
6. What is the name of a famous painting on the Berlin Wall mural?